About Me

My photo
I became a single Mom a year and a half ago and I am Mom to 2 amazing girls who are my motivation for everything I do in life! I want to create a legacy and make a difference in their lives. I want to teach them the skills and give them the tools they need to be all they were created to be! I am a student of Dani Johnson on www.danijohnson.com and my goal in 2014 is to become a facilitator for 2 of the Dani Johnson programs, Grooming the Next Generation for Success and Gems. I am in the process of writing several books including a cookbook and putting together healthy cooking classes that I will be helping to teach! I grew up Amish in northeastern Ohio and left the culture in 1995 when I became a born again believer in Jesus Christ. I have travelled to Brazil, Guatemala, and Haiti on short term mission trips since becoming a Christian in 1995. Please feel free to post comments or questions and I will always do my best to answer any questions you have. If you have problems posting to the blog feel free to send me an e-mail at barbarakeim72@gmail.com God Bless you! Bountiful Blessings, Barbara Kay

Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Time to Tap the Maple Trees

So several years ago I posted about one of my favorite memories as a child was syrup making time. It is almost that time of year again! Just when you think winter is never going to end, it's time to tap the trees which is the surest sign that spring is going to be coming very soon. Some days I long to go back to a life that was far more simple than the one I find myself in today.

Tapping the trees was a task only my Dad was able to do as you had to make sure you were tapping a maple tree and not any of the other trees like oak or ash. You see there are no leaves on the trees at this time in Ohio and that is how I would know what kind of tree it is. Not only that the spile had to be put at just the right place and just the right angle. So that was always Dad's job.

Of course Dad did the gathering as well because you had to use a team of horses who pulled this huge tank around the woods while each bucket had to be lifted from the trees and emptied. I did help with this task once or twice but my absolute favorite part was to be in the sugar house while the sap was being cooked down into syrup. I remember the smell of the wood burning and I remember the fire was extremely hot. It was usually so cozy and warm in the sugar house and when it was my turn (my brothers and I had to take turns because someone had to stay and do the chores) to go back to the woods after school for the evening I would get to take dinner back for the ones who were back doing the cooking of the sap. Of course my most favorite part of the night was making dessert...maple cream. It is the sweetest most delectable dessert I have ever eaten and I don't know why I have not done this but I have never made it since leaving home. Maybe because it would just not be the same. It is a little hard to create the atmosphere of the sugarhouse in the city. That has been such a long time ago. Now that I live in a climate that actually has winter and it freezes I will have to look into teaching my girls this awesome skill.

One other thing this time of year reminds me of is spring is coming. February and sometimes March seemed to be endless to me especially when I was young and going to school. In northeastern Ohio it felt like winter was never going to leave!

Until next time "carpe diem"! "seize the day"

Bountiful Blessings,
Barbara Kay

No comments:

Post a Comment